Everyone has, at some point, had a weird thought pop into their minds after taking a few tokes of weed, and that’s not a bad thing. You’ve just taken a rip out of your bong, your mind starts wandering, and you see all of the water in your bong just sitting there. You might start thinking to yourself, does drinking bong water get you high? Even though dirty bong water sounds disgusting, the question has still raised some curiosity in people.
Drinking Bong Water
A common theory floating around cannabis culture is that you can get high from drinking bong water. Is this theory actually true? The theory states that there is THC floating around the water after you’re done smoking cannabis and that you can get high from it if you ingest it.
This doesn’t mean that you should go and start drinking bong water, by any means. The theory appears to contain a lot of errors, and whoever thought of that theory is completely wrong, in every sense of the word. Drinking bong water is something you want to strictly avoid. It smells terrible, tastes awful, and should never be consumed. Even when people accidentally get bong water splashed into their mouth, they instantly have a foul look on their face.
Science has also proven that dirty bong water won’t get you high. THC isn’t soluble in water, and that means that even if there was THC floating around the water, you’d need to consume over two litres of it to even get the slightest buzz.
Drinking two litres of anything is a difficult task to accomplish, let alone two litres of bong water. Why would anyone want to even consider drinking two litres of rancid-tasting water just to get a slight buzz? There is a chance you’d even up with some sort of infection and might even be vomiting large amounts soon after consuming it.
You also have to look at how cannabis processes through a bong when thinking about this theory. As your weed passes through the water inside the bong, it isn’t even releasing THC at that point. That leads to the fact that THC won’t have a chance to get into the water, which further leads to the fact that you won’t be able to get high from it.
Despite proving the theory wrong, some people still think that you can get high from bong water. You’ll always hear that person that makes the claim that goes against all logic, just so they don’t have to admit that they’re wrong. If they still claim to have gotten high off of bong water even after you’ve convinced them that it’s impossible, then there’s a good chance that they are dealing with the placebo effect.
There are some cannabis users that even recommend adding flavoring to bong water so that it won’t taste so bad. Even if you flavor bong water with the best flavoring on earth, that still doesn’t mean it’s all of a sudden going to be healthy to drink it.
Always Use New Water For Your Bong
Even though the theory is now debunked, there are people that will still go ahead and drink bong water, thinking they’ll get high from it. Sometimes evidence simply doesn’t work to change people’s minds. If you still believe that drinking bong water will get you high, you’ll at least want to be changing your bong water on a regular basis so that it will be cleaner. Cleaning bong water will make your cannabis taste much better and will result in a better high.
Sometimes people will wait a little too long before changing their bong water and begin wondering why the weed is tasting so bad after a while. Dirty bong water is not only disgusting, but it’s actually dangerous because of the bacteria that can fester in the water. You really shouldn’t be inhaling smoking from filthy bong water. If you do, you’ll run the risk of inhaling filthy bacteria from the water right into your lungs.
Bongwater that hasn’t been changed in a while will appear to be a brown or black color. Over time, toxins and bacteria will gradually accumulate in the bong water, and it will basically be the same as sewage. This could lead to disastrous consequences to your health, and the last thing you’ll want to do is be using your bong. In addition, you’ll notice that your glass will appear to be very dark and stained.
Changing your bong water on a regular basis also makes the entire cleaning process much more manageable. Most people have accidentally tipped over their bongs at some point. If you’re one of the people that has done that, you’ll know exactly how bad bong water can smell and how difficult it can be to clean up. If the bong water hasn’t been changed over in a long time, then that’s equivalent to accidentally releasing sewage right on your floor.
Giving Your Bong A Clean
There’s no doubt that dirty bong water is bad for you. If you’re still fixed on drinking it at this point, then you should be sanitizing your bong regularly. There are a few things you’ll need to get in order to clean your bong.
- Hot water
- Cotton balls
- A bunch of hand towels
- Cotton swabs (you’ll want a bunch of these handy)
- Bottlebrush (a pipe cleaner will also work if you don’t have a bottle brush)
After you’ve got all your materials ready to go, follow these simple steps:
- The first thing you’ll want to do is completely get rid of the old water that’s sitting in your bong, and no, that doesn’t mean drinking it. After that, begin taking the bong apart. Place all of the pieces on a hand towel in an organized way so that you know exactly where each piece is located. Don’t leave any parts on the bong. Everything needs to be taken apart for the best cleaning results.
- Some people like to take each piece of the bong and wash them separately in hot water. Doing this is probably the easiest way to go about it instead of doing everything at once.
- Start by getting a pair of rubber gloves and put them on. Start scrubbing all of the pieces of the bong. Sometimes it can require a bit of elbow grease to get into that resin that’s been building up over time, but ensure you aren’t exerting so much force that could cause something to break.
- After you’re done scrubbing each piece, place it into the bag. You’ll want every piece you scrub to have its own individual bag. For those that don’t have enough bags handy, try using any plastic container, ensuring each has a lid.
- Once all of the pieces are in their own individual bags, get some rubbing alcohol and a 1/4 quarter measuring cup. Pour the rubbing alcohol into the measuring cup and then pour it into every single bag. You’ll also want to add 1/4 of water into each bag along with the rubbing alcohol. After that, get a tablespoon of salt and put it into every bag.
- You can now start gently shaking every bag around so that the mixture can loosen up the resin, debris, and bacteria on each and every part. Sometimes scrubbing doesn’t get into every nook and cranny on every bong part, and this is exactly why you’re shaking the bags around. The salt acts as a mild abrasive in the mixture. Each bag should be shaken up for about five minutes. Once you’re done shaking all of the bags, wait about 15 minutes before moving onto the next step.
- At this point, you’ll need to get a container that’s big enough to fit your bong in it. Begin filling the large container with hot water to the point that your bong is fully submerged. After that, add in around three tablespoons of salt and about half of a cup of rubbing alcohol. If you don’t have to rub alcohol, you can get away with using hydrogen peroxide.
- Ensure that all of the holes in the bong are plugged with cotton balls. Sometimes it’s easier to use hand towels to plug the holes with. Start giving the bong a good shake for around 5 minutes.
- After you’re done shaking the bong, you’ll want to empty out the solution in it. Give everything a good chance to dry off. If you happen to notice any other dirty spots on any of the pieces, try rinsing them off another time.
Hopefully, you are less compelled to drink your bong water after reading this article. If your main purpose for wanting to consume bong water is to get a slight buzz, there are much better ways to go about doing that. Just smoke a bowl out of the bong instead.
You’ll get a much better high, but make sure that the bong water is clean and filled up to the proper height. How much water is in a bong? The general rule of thumb for filling your bong up with water is to fill it up to the point where the downstream and any other slits are submerged. If you fill your bong with too much water, you run the risk of getting some in your mouth when inhaling. If there isn’t enough water, it might hurt your lungs a little more.